About Me

My photo
Texas, United States
Me in a nutshell: I'm a loving wife and stay at home mommy to a beautiful 3 yr old. At my best I'm creative, light-hearted, sassy, honest, witty and I have a natural love for people and an amazing zest for life, did I mention that I'm probably the best person to have on a girls night out. At my worst I'm sharp tongued, brutally honest, introverted, intolerant and slightly dismissive but it's few and far between that my alter ego ever rears her ugly head.

Monday, June 8, 2009

If loving me is wrong, I dont wanna be right!

So as a mother and a wife it's generally frowned upon to be selfish but I had a thought recently (hmm...as if I don't have those very often) Aren't children and husbands the epitome of selfish?! Yet I haven't seen anyone look an infant in the eye and say "shame on you, this isn't all about you, you know!" No one has ever told my husband "You asked her to cook you what?! Oh, you owe her an apology sir". My three year old tells me he loves me...2.5 seconds before he says "I love fruit snacks too... can I have some?" My husband thanks me for dinner but only washes the dishes afterwards when he wants...umm...some "fruit snacks" too. They want what they want, when they want it, they do what they have to just get it and because it's wrong to be selfish, there's nothing to be done but to accommodate them. Why is it so hard to put yourself first with out feeling like Faye Dunaway in Mommy Dearest?! Sometimes I feel like I need permission to take care of what I feel is important to me without considering anyone else. Back in school you would hear stuff like "just worry about yourself" or "if you don't take care of you, then who else is going to?" I'll tell you who, YOUR WIFE! Maybe I need to get myself one... But seriously though, everyone says that ya gotta take care of yourself but then it's like you have to submit a form and wait for approval before you can say "I don't feel like going to Seaworld today or any other day for that matter... I don't like cotton candy, I cant swim, I hate the sun and dolphins!" I know I know, I'm taking it too far... nobody hates dolphins. I need to pause and make sure I'm not steering you in the wrong direction here, like I've said in previous posts, I love being a mother and a wife, but at some point I just need to go on and call an ugly baby ugly. Wait, I guess that's not a good saying for a mother to use. What I'm trying to say is there are times when I don't feel like being nice, I just want to be honest and I need to be able to do it with out people hating me afterwards. There was something I was getting at initially but since I started to rant and stray away from my original point, there's just gonna have to be a "part two" later.
gqwpux9y72

9 comments:

  1. Hi! Visiting from SITS! Cute blog! I totally agree. Sometimes i wish the kids would just get their own lunch or take their own bath and just let me veg out on the couch! lol Maybe in a few years, huh. :)
    I'm now following and will continue to check in!
    Stop by my blog if you are interested!
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. visiting from sits, You are so right, mother's deserve the chance to be selfish also. I love your "realness" in your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel you. I'm not a mom or wife but sometimes I loathe the day I become one for these very reasons :-/ Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting from 20sb! (I'm on SITS too, though lol)
    I completely understand where you're coming from. Kind of a double standard, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard of many other options for women to get a break while their husbands and children hassle them for the simple things in life...but the whole getting a wife thing doesnt sound so bad, I should look into that myself. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. aw hun, it's definitely all right to put yourself first once in awhile! It's the only way you'll stay sane ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute blog! Glad I found oyu on SITS:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came across your Blog via 'Sixteen Candles'.

    If you like to Think and Laugh and 'keep it real'....then my Blog will be worth your visit.

    Come and see me, and bring your family too....or not??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes!!! You tell it like it is... and I LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete